Friday, August 30, 2013

Tired and Beaten Up

It's been a long, hot, week.  Adoptions have been good for an August and the never ending calls for cats that are in need continue.   We have one more day in our Petsmart location for the month and I'm looking forward to being "off the clock" for another month.

Very few things about cat rescue give me anxiety more than three words:  "FIP", "Ringworm" or "Distemper".  I can handle anything - but when faced with a possible outbreak of any of the above, I want to shut down.  We heard there was  a small Distemper outbreak in the "high kill" shelter.  Of course, we had just rescued  a bunch of kittens so have been on "watch".  I hate that.  My anxiety rises and every call about diarrhea, or "quiet kitten" makes my stomach turn.

We know of a kind woman that found a cat and unknowingly took the cat to the local SPCA that is next door to the "high kill shelter".  The woman spoke with the CEO of the SPCA personally and told her that after the cat is there for her standard "3 day stray time - she would adopt the cat!  She was promised "nothing will happen to this cat.... I promise!"  They immediately took the cat next door to the high kill shelter, where she was euthanized 3 days later.

Nobody from either agency called this woman.  The cat died alone in an empty shelter cage when there was somebody who wanted her. 

This kind of shit used to drive me insane.  I'd go absolutely nuts, make calls and cry.

Now?  It just makes me feel tired and beaten up. 

What can I do?  I have to keep pushing forward through stories like this.  There are thousands of them every year.   They used to empower me.  Now I just add this to my ever growing mental list of sad stories that I can share with others that have a fresher outlook on this horrific situation. 

13 comments:

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

Oh that sucks! I've been having my own problems with my local shelter not communicating at all and it has been very irritating, but no one lost their life over it..

Btw, FIP isn't contagious, so that is one less thing to worry about. Not that hearing FIP isn't gut wrenching on it's own..

Random Felines said...

ugh......it is so hard when things seem to pile up

we are very sorry for that cat and that woman

Anonymous said...

Beth, I never fail to read all of your post. I never comment. But today I just want to say "I know and I understand how you feel". There is no word to describe "that feeling" of disgust, pain, sorrow, hatred, sadnesss and loss. You can only do so much .........its a lonely place to be.........hugs my friend from my neck of the woods .........Christine

Debbie said...

I hope that lady goes to the Spec. and tells her story. Get it out there.
I had a cat with FIP and when it passed away my vet said not to bring another cat into the house for a year!!
September should get better Beth, hopefully kitten season is slowing down. Keep smiling :)

Kathy M said...

Beth,
I have been a very, very long time reader of your blog and haven't written ever or maybe in along time. You sound so sad and dejected right now. Wow. I am just a middle aged housewife from Kansas with one cat...
A cat I got from a shelter because of you! She is so loving, sleeps on our bed at night, follows me around the entire day and brightens my day so much. Buffy is our first indoor cat because of our allergies. We have been taking shots and are doing well for 3 years. We have you to thank. You have no idea how many people you are inspiring to save just one life. I can't pretend to understand your pain. I feel it...but not really. Just know that you are a blessing to cats (and humans)everywhere.
Don't loose hope. Or else I might too...

Kathy M said...

I also miss your rescue day song...

House of the Discarded said...

Kathy M: You couldn't have made me feel any better had you given me a million $$'s! Thank you SO much for the words of encouragement. You're right - I need to sing my stupid little Rescue Song again!

((HUGS))

Beth

Strayer said...

This is a huge request and turn it down and I would understand completely. Someone who lived in Erie, PA helped me out a few years back by running an online fundraiser for a hard luck kitty, Valentino, I'd taken in, who needed a dental badly. I've never met her but she's in big trouble, husband died, house burned down and she's stuck in N. Dakota, with her broken down jeep, unemployed and homeless. Her cats went into boarding in Eden, New York, just outside Buffalo she says, in an online fund raiser plea because she owes the boarder, can't pay her and fears her cats, at least three of them, will be euthanized. I don't know many people way back there, but if there was a way to get them across the border to your rescue, would that even be possible? I realize this is a long shot and I don't really know the woman, just online and the fact she helped me with Valentino, but I feel for her, and her cats. I know someone else from online in Toronto, and can ask them, to possibly help get them across the border, if this is even a possibility.

House of the Discarded said...

Strayer: I can't promise anything, but if you get the information, I can certainly check on these cats, find out how old they are, and if they're adoptable. Buffalo isn't too far from me. :)

Beth

Strayer said...

Thank you. How can I get you in touch with the woman who used to own them, who can tell exactly where they are and info about them? I have her e-mail, but would rather she e-mail you. Have forgotten yours, but maybe it is on the site somewhere.

Caroline said...

Let this be a good lesson for ppl who find animals they are willing to adopt, do not take them to the shelter, because their owner may not find them and they will get sick and they will not call you. Post an ad online saying you found them. I would encourage this woman to tell her story on Kijiji and write to the local paper.

House of the Discarded said...

Strayer: Got your last "comment" and I completely understand how easy it can be to get caught up in this sort of thing. She did contact me and I've tried to contact her - but you're right - it sounds very convoluted and complicated. Don't stop caring about the people and the cats.

B

Eva McDowell said...

Beth and Strayer - I have a friend in Rescue located in Buffalo - let me know if you need the contact info