Monday, January 28, 2013

Thinking about Dexter

There are so many things I don't say about my life in cat rescue.  Things I wish I could say but I'm not an "anonymous" blogger.  :)

I woke up to my cell phone ringing by the bed a few days ago.  It was 8:30 in the morning.  Nothing good happens at that hour and by the time I cleared my blurry eyes the call had gone to voicemail.  I remained in bed  and listened to the message.  At first all I  heard was a foster parent trying to announce her name through tears.

My heart broke.

"Dexter died last night of a cardiac embolism"
The worst part is that the foster parent had JUST adopted him.  This particular foster parent has been fostering with me for TEN YEARS.  She never adopted one....until now.

At least Dexter died in his Forever Home.  He was truly loved. 

Sometimes I wish this blog could just have cute cat pictures or videos.  Certainly I have enough material with just The Sherminator:


The last picture was taken when we had an alarm company installation yesterday.  Sherman wouldn't leave this guy alone and insisted on sitting on his paperwork, biting the ends of his pen and knocking his brochures to the ground.  Fortunately, the installer had 2 cats of his own and was amused with Sherman.

For a long time I  had wondered which cat was playing in the toilet.  Sitting on a wet toilet seat when I occasionally use my son's washroom is disturbing.  I could never catch the little bugger that's playing in the toilet until yesterday....


It feels good to talk about something that makes me laugh. Cat rescue is a lot of things - but usually not funny.   As I've always said, it's one big emotional rollercoaster.

 I'll try to focus on "funny" today, but my heart will be thinking about Dexter and his Mom. This is a cat rescue after all. 


6 comments:

Random Felines said...

we are purring for Dexter's mom.... we too do the rescue rollercoaster and there are times it really is no fun. And then you see a kitten or cat that has come so far through so many things and is healthy and ready to go and know it is worth it. Or see Sherman "helping" the security guy :)

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

I can't help but wonder if Dexter wasn't hanging around to make that love match so she would be sure to find him on the Rainbow Bridge.

My thoughts are with his family.

hmacross said...

So sorry to hear about Dexter. (((hugs))) to the family. Cat rescue is often heart breaking and it takes a special someone to commit to fostering for ten years!

On a happier note - I love the video of Sherman - you are very stern with him and then at the end (like all of us moms) "I love you, you're a good boy".

Lory and Co. said...

As someone who has adopted 3 of my foster cats, my heart goes out to Dexter's mom. He was loved when he needed it most.

Caroline said...

Ok i know you have sons that use that bathroom but really can they not remember to put the lid down I think you need to buy the gizmo that automatically lowers the lid on the toilet. Hugs to Dexters Mom!

Jennifer Lundgren said...

My heart goes out to Dexter's mom. I have a heart kitty (HCM) and have also lost two suddenly to it. We always say that HCM kitties have the biggest hearts because they have te most love to give.Big hugs>>