Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

I didn't sleep last night.  I tossed and turned and fretted about my own 10 year old cat "Newman" who is having dental surgery this morning.  Realistically, cats have dental surgery every day and most people drop them off at the vets, pick them up at the end of the day, pay the bill and go home. 

Not me.

I was thinking this morning how nice it would be if every cat had an opportunity to have somebody love them SO MUCH that their family didn't sleep the night before they have 3 teeth pulled.  I suppose that's what I wish for every cat.  That somebody loves them as much as I love my Newman. 

There's been an unusual number of calls on our rescue's phone line over the past few weeks with people finding litters of kittens or a cat suddenly appearing at a back door.  Strangely enough, the calls are ALL coming from the same city and the same area.  It's driving me crazy to think that people are moving away and leaving their cats to fend for themselves.  Cowards. 

Because these telephone calls are all coming from the same city as the high kill shelter, I'm wondering if people think that the cats have a better chance of survival if left outside than to end up at that shelter.  Every person that's called has said, "I don't want to take him/her to (the shelter) because they'll kill him/her."   It's great that there's been lots of press and education about this shelter.  But it's not so great that people are hesitant to bring lost cats or abandoned pets there. 

There are a lot of things worse than being euthanized at the shelter.  Ask the volunteers who take care of feral colonies, or people who have witnessed torture of animals. 

So yes.  I wish every cat had a home and not just any home...but a home where somebody loses sleep with worry for them.  That's a lot to ask. 

Today, I'll be waiting by the phone to hear how my little Newman did with her surgery.  Until she's back home, a little piece of me will be missing. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A picture of Newman would be nice :)

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way when my "babies" go for any kind of surgery. It doesn't matter if they are my cats or my foster cats.....I still worry, worry, worry.
Dori

Debbie said...

Been there done that!With having flat faced cats , it's paet of life
Hope Newman recoves fast !
What special food is Mom going to be fixing for the special boy???
Something to spoil him rotten :)

Anonymous said...

Do you think that some of these people may be the actual owners and think they have more chance of getting help if they claim that the cats were abandoned. Especially knowing that their local shelter is 'high kill'?

Karl and Oscar said...

I know how you feel. I feel the same about my cats and wish every cat had the same situation. Just know, that you are helping make that happen for so many cats out there who may never have had such an opportunity. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a feral colony caretaker. You wrote: "There are a lot of things worse than being euthanized at the shelter. Ask the volunteers who take care of feral colonies..." I think it's safe to say that a well managed colony (vet care, daily food and water, and someone who looks out for them) with appropriate winter shelters provides a life that's preferable to being euthanized in a shelter. While I don't take any pleasure in seeing cats living outdoors in our Canadian winters, I staunchly believe that if they are cared for, life is still worth living. Other caretakers who build a relationship with ferals would also understand that. I strongly disagree with the concept that the their lives are always miserable and way to deal with ferals is to kill them. We need to educate people to help care for them instead of killing them.

House of the Discarded said...

To the feral colony caretaker: Thank you so much for taking the time to write your viewpoints. Point well taken!

-Beth

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

A loving home for every cat (and dog) is not to much to ask. And our feral colonies live a good life with good food, clean water, vet care and heated houses in the winter (thanks to the brilliant young engineer who designed and built them). I often go to sleep worrying that the heater didn't go on or that someone forgot to give them fresh water...