Friday, June 01, 2012

Friday, Friday

The adoption phones were back ringing and ringing on this very wet day.  I was beginning to wonder what was going on and why things were so quiet.  I think when we were used to "mega adoption" months, a quiet few weeks can feel very disconcerting. 

We're all packed into our Petsmart Adoption Centre for the month of June.  I was at a foster Mom's house this morning picking up her kittens before she left for work at 8 am.  Admittedly, I'm relieved when we're all set up, cats look happy and healthy and everything is in place.

I wasn't at the adoption centre more than 10 minutes when a lovely couple took home one of our kittens.  Originally, they were asking about declawing. (ACK!)  But I'm hopeful that I managed to change their mind.  I think I sound like a broken record when I talk about declawing.  They obviously had no idea what was involved with the procedure. 

The dark day today left me feeling a little melancholy.  There are some days that I ask myself why I made the conscience decision to be in animal rescue.  It's very painful sometimes and the hours are long.  I could definitely live a more comfortable, less chaotic life than somebody who picks up kittens at 8-frickin'-a.m. in sweatpants, no makeup and in the pouring down rain. 

As I type this blog post, we've had 3 more adoption calls so it sounds like things are moving and grooving again.  I wish people were calling about the adult cats.  It might be time to do an adoption blitz for them since it's kitten season.  Somehow, it doesn't seem to matter what we charge for the adult cats - when somebody doesn't want an adult can't you can't force the issue with a lower adoption fee. 

The Petsmart where we do business is having a huge DOG adoption blitz.  They have a tent about back with several hundred dogs in it from various SPCA's.  I wanted to go back and see the dogs, but with my Maggie being 14 and terminally ill, I was afraid that my heart would break.  I hope I can manage to not go out and get another dog right away. 

We've had an ENORMOUS number of people calling and wanting to surrender their cats.  Funny, how this always happens during vacation season.  A man called me as I was typing this post wanting to surrender his two 13 year old Siamese cats that he's had since they were kittens.  *sigh*

Enough of this sad stuff...it's Friday, it's the weekend and I'm going to go put on some lipstick for my man coming home from work.  Time to look (and feel) presentable.  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just can't get my head around anyone wanting to get rid of senior Siamese - they are so bonded to their person.

Met a lady in the park the other day pushing a stroller. She wanted to know if I anyone who would take her 11 yr old cat - they were moving from a house to a condo and it was an indoor -outdoor cat.
I hooked her up to Pigeon Pete - he encloses balconies with netting and this would cat proof her new outdoor space!

Beth maybe you are tired because you are still jet lagged - its hard to be upbeat when you are tired, and if you don't chug coffee the morning you are trying to return to Ontario time it is difficult to reset your circadian clock. You will be glad you got up when you get their adoption fee!

the Dog Market has only one tiny barn kitten, a lonely grey tabby girl in a great big cage...

The nice thing about adopting an adult is what you see is what you get - friendly, social, no swinging from the drapes... no worries about what they will get into when you are at work. :)

Harpurr's Mom