Monday, July 04, 2011

When The Wall Comes Tumbling Down

There are some days where I feel like the term "When it Rains, it Pours" was made for me.   I woke up as I usually do and it was like the Crap Gods decended on me!!

We spent more than $4500.00 on plumbing repairs a few days ago, only to wake up to a flooded basement AGAIN this morning.  It was SO flooded that I couldn't get to my washer and dryer.  I had a rescue to do today and I couldn't even get to the cat carriers.

Sadly, one of our kittens died after being attacked by a foster parent's dog.  It was an awful situation and the kitten was leaving shortly for his Forever Home.  I really don't want to go into this any further.  It's very painful for all of those involved and nothing could've predicted or prevented it. 

When a day starts out this badly, it doesn't take much to make even the little things feel like huge ordeals.  You know the drill ....stubbing your toe, breaking your glasses, or bad hair. 

On the "Good news" sector of the day, I'm happy to report that Animal Control cancelled the euthanasia day on Friday - the shelter was in good shape despite it being the end of June!  (Say what???!!!)  Lots of cats scheduled to be RESCUED today too!  I used to report of the intense heat in the shelter during the summer, but am also happy to say that there are tons of HUGE fans and a portable air conditioner.  The cats looked comfortable....as comfortable as discarded shelter cats can be.  But that was a huge step in the right direction. 

I rescued a darling kitten that had just arrived today.  She's a feminine fluffy little blue/cream tortoiseshell.  Gosh, she was sweet....

We also rescued "Tabitha" today:
I want to add a special thank you to our veterinary clinic AND the volunteer driver who is taking the kitten and Tabitha to their foster homes tonight.  I called both the vet clinic AND the driver today in a mini-meltdown after my plans to put the cats in my washroom this afternoon dissipated with the plumbing issues.  The veterinary clinic offered to let me keep the cats there for the afternoon for free, and our wonderful volunteer driver offered to pick them up directly from the vet's office despite the traffic nightmare. 

I'm blessed with another friend who has continually watched my back despite some pretty rough recently obstacles. 

Many thank you's to those that worked hard to make my life easier today - you know who you are.   I really and truly appreciate it.

As I type this blog post, the plumber is busy working in the basement.  My pocketbook will be a little emptier as a result, but my heart feels full with a great rescue and a leg up from friends. 

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Sending you a big hug :)
Some days you wished you could just skip !
Hope you have many better days to come.

Princess Jasmine said...

Mummy is sending you lots of cyber hugs. She knows how it feels to have days like that. Pipes burst under the kitchen and hall, someone scammed her bank card and took zillions (well a lot) and then a drunk driver wrote her car off. All this happend just weeks after her mummy had passed away! We think you do a fantastic job looking out for all those kitties xx

Lory & Co. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the kitten's loss. My heart goes out to both the foster and would-be forever home families.

But at least you were able to rescue two cats today and that is great news.

Renee said...

Oh, ugh, Beth. I'm so sorry to hear it all.

But on the plus side, thanks to you, three little bigfooted baby girls are making the most of the lifeline you gave them. Instead of being in a cage, or worse, they're learning to climb up onto the sofa, and are eyeballing the cat tree. They're playing and purring, and waiting to get big enough to find forever homes, instead of waiting for the vet to take them away. If you saw their little faces today, and watched them waddle towards the door at top speed when they heard me coming, then for just a few minutes, nothing else would matter. They're here because of you, and the work you do.

Random Felines said...

Mom says she has those days too - but is glad she doesn't have a basement. ;) Please send our purrs to the foster and forever family - accidents happen and it is terrible for everyone.

And to make you smile - the kittens we are fostering have learned a new trick - they can turn on the radio in the bathroom and turn it off. sigh.... MOL

Unknown said...

It is so sad to hear about the foster kitten but accidents happen and there is nothing you can do about it now. I hope things get better for you soon.

Caroline said...

Great rescue, please thank the AC for putting in the fans and air con, I was thinking of the cats last week when the day was hot. As for plumbing issues, it's a pain, I've had many since moving into my new old condo.