Friday, June 24, 2011

Rough Week

I feel like the world has gone crazy today. 

83 cats died at the shelter today simply because there were not enough homes. 

I received an email from another rescue organization asking for help with cats after a foster parent died.  She had my sympathy until she disclosed that the woman had 20 cats of her own and "the rescue" gave her 8 more to foster.  Insanity! 

What kind of rescue knowingly gives an elderly woman 8 cats to foster when she already has 20 cats?  T.V. shows are made of this kind of stuff.

That isn't rescue.  That's hoarding.  I don't know what the legal limit is in this woman's area, but it's NOT 28 cats.  Poor thing.

Apparently, there's a rally/protest at the shelter where I rescue tomorrow and this woman's rescue is involved.  She should clean up her own backyard before poopin' in somebody else's.  Just sayin'...

Anyway, it's been a shitty week and isn't ending too much better.  Lots going on that isn't making me happy right now.  It's ok...it's part of what I bought into when I started the rescue.  Why it all happens at once is beyond me. 

I'm grateful for every day that I receive reassuring, kind emails.  Our volunteers are so awesome and on weeks like this....I'm trying to remember how blessed I really am. 

Tonight, I'm remembering the unwanted and with the help of our volunteers, do our best to make a difference.

10 comments:

Princess Jasmine said...

What a hard day you have had. Mummy says its good that you get upset. If you didn't, it would mean you didn't care. Your doing a great job, an amazing job and you will all be in our thoughts and prayers xxxx

Fuzzy Tales said...

Aw, Beth, I'm sorry for all concerned. (((Hugs)))

Just to let you know, I'm having a commentathon for my Derry's birthday today, to raise money for Forever Home Cat Rescue.

http://keas-fur-family.blogspot.com

If I get more than 100 comments I might have to donate over two months, but I wanted to do something for your rescue because what you do is so incredibly difficult, yet so needed.

So I hope it's okay...and okay that I didn't email you before to let you know. I wasn't going to say anything, just make the donation, but it seemed appropriate to let you know now, given today's post.

Kim

Faith J. said...

**crying inside**

Anonymous said...

83 Cats were euthanized??? Omg, I didn't even know they kept that many cats at the shelter at any once time. THAT FIGURE BLOWS MY MIND. Does the shelter pay to have all these cats put to death? If they do, why wouldn't they want to offer adoptions and make money instead of spend it? I don't get it..

Also, which shelter is this? Is it the Hamilton S.P.C.A? I was thinking of going up there tomorrow, but maybe not if there's a rally.

Anonymous said...

I think all shelters and animal services should have to clearly indicate on the intake/surrender forms about the euthanasia policy as well as clearly provide the number of animals passing throught the shelter each year, how many were picked up as strays, how many were voluntary surrenders, and how many were adopted or rescued back out.
I love that ribbon! Can it be purchased somewhere?

House of the Discarded said...

Anonymous: I love that ribbon too and I can't remember where I found it. Must've been on FB or the net somewhere.

B

Deb said...

Beth - I have picked up the ribbon to put on my blog. I hope that is ok. Our local shelter got 8 more yesterday to bring the total to 102. Very typical for this time of year. It is appalling to me to see that the word is not falling on enough ears to spay their cats. At first I blamed the vets for having raised the cost of spays and I felt sorry for those who couldn't afford it. Now, I still partly blame the vets for this mess we are in but I also have no tolerance for someone to have a cat and not spay it just because they can't afford it. If you can't afford it you should NOT have a cat. Yes, only those who can should have one. It's as simple as that.

Anonymous said...

The ribbon can be purchased on E Bay.
When did it become accepted policy to destroy living creatures as a way of aimal control? Couldn't those funds be spent on anything more humane or effective? What is next? Population control for humans?

Faith J. said...

I read on a no-kill shelter web site (maybe it's Richmond?) that they do counseling with people that bring their unwanted pets in. It sounds like they have a good solution that helps some owners; they are able to counsel them about pet behavior problems and offer up alternatives to just leaving them at the shelter. If only all shelters took the time and compassion to do that!!!

Anonymous said...

83 innocents slaughtered - I am appalled at our throw-away society and it just seems like it's only getting worse. My heart breaks for Linus and the countless others...