Friday, June 03, 2011

Defeated and Angry

I brought my camera with me today when I went to the shelter with hope to take some video or pictures of some of the cats that need help.  I could tell when I walked into the back and saw some of the staff member's faces that it probably wasn't a good "vet day".  The employees who deal with the euthanasia days end up with a defeated, sad look.  How could they not look that way?  

As more cats come into the shelter within the 15 minutes that I was there, I realized that we've definitely hit that shitty part of summer where irresponsible people are dumping their pets or having kittens.  Take a peek on Craigslist and you'll see the number of "Urgent requests" to rehome their pets because they're moving.   Shit, I hate that excuse.

They were still cleaning the cat cages while I was choosing a kitten or two to rescue.  There was blood on the floor nearby where the cats had been giving an injection to kill them.  Sometimes when the needle is removed the artery drips a lot of blood. 

I put away my camera.  My enthusiasm was gone and I felt defeated.  I left with one sweet kitten.  I guess it's when I'm not angry anymore and numb to it all is when I have to worry. 

But it's only June.  God help me (and the cats) when it's August.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

;(

Deb said...

I'm crying reading this because I know it goes on here too. I hate this time of year and my heart feels sick, really sick.

House of Mystery said...

To save even one from the jaws of death is a win. Had to help a friend of mine pick up 5 cats from the local shelter to take to their no-kill. Five cats out of 20+.. I HATE those odds.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

*hugs*

House of the Discarded said...

The cats are sedated before they are euthanized. I'm not sure how much they know is going on.

House of the Discarded said...

Before everybody goes crazy, I'd better get some clarification on a couple of things. I just received an email that indicates I may have been off base. Strange, but this is what I've ALWAYS been told.

I do know that the cats are sedated. So let's start there and I'll get more information.

Caroline said...

Just an idea, but what if David held a poker tournament at your house as a fundraiser for your rescue? You could charge $20 + dollars per person and provide munchies!