Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Business as Usual

It was nice to be back to the shelter today to rescue.  I made some tough choices, but it came down to adoptability and who was at most risk for euthanasia tomorrow. The shelter is back to a summer schedule for vet days - Monday, Wednesday and Friday - so my heart hurt as I left there today. 

There are two kittens at the shelter that I desperately need to save.  One was seen being thrown out of a car window - 6 weeks old.  He wasn't injured, but obviously so frightened.  The other 6 week old kitten is this little guy that was actually HIT by a car.  His finder was the one that brought him in:
(Yes, freaky protesters - he received medical attention - do NOT go bizerk and call the Mayor.)  He was treated for a laceration on his paw, but will need some additional medical care after his rescue.  I've been busy trying to find placement for them both.  I couldn't take them today without knowing if I had a spot. 

I also rescued an insanely cute kitten named "Christian":

When I picked him up he licked my hand.  I melted.  Many hugs and thank you's to Tom and Susan who took "just one more".  :)
I also rescued a sweet declawed calico named "Deena":
To give you an idea how frightened they are when they first arrive, you can't really tell how sweet she is by the picture.  I took the following picture in my washroom a few minutes after rescue:

It's sad that I had to consider "fast turnover".  There's a VERY VERY sweet declawed black cat at the shelter that I really wanted to take.  He's been there so long and really wanted to come with me.  ugh. 

This time of year, they all need help.  But I think I have a spot for those kittens...looks like another rescue tomorrow!!

9 comments:

Faith J. said...

OH, they are all so sweet! Is Linus still at the shelter?

House of the Discarded said...

Faith: I don't think Linus is there any longer :(

Deb said...

Good luck to all your new rescues. Hugs

hmacross said...

Wow, what a difference in Deena! She is beautiful (as are all kitties).

I nominated your blog in the Dogtimes Pet Blog Award under Best Cause Blog :)

House of the Discarded said...

hmacross: Whoo hoo! Thank you so much!

hmacross said...

Here is the webpage if anyone else wants to nominate your blog.

http://dogtime.com/petties

I think you describe a rescuer's life very well, and it gives me insight into what shelters are like in some (many) places.

Shannon said...

Aw, I looked at the animal control pictures recently and saw Deena's picture. She looked sad and intimidated, and now back at your place, Beth, she appears so much more secure and comfortable. Her true colours are showing through in that second pic. And of course, my heart melts a little more, because she's a calico, my favourite. :)

Lory & Co. said...

@Faith - I looked on the website today and saw Linus marked "Urgent", which means (based on my visit there many months ago) that he is "safe" in the garage area. But Beth can confirm the meaning of "Urgent" used on that website.

Faith J. said...

Thanks Lory & Co, I hope he finds a great home!!! Poor guy...