Wednesday, February 16, 2011

600

I can't believe I've written 600 blog posts.  I went back through the past few years and picked out a few posts that were memorable to me...and some that weren't so memorable and decided to relive them.   I've had some people tell me that reading my sad posts are the worst for them. Sometimes they can't make it through and sometimes they can't bring themselves to watch a video unless they know it's going to be happy.

Things with my rescue are going along well.  I've forgotten what it's like to be the primary phone person.  The number of  "my boyfriend has allergies and I need to get rid of my cat" are huge.  I've started saying that I don't take owner surrenders - period.  Let 'em bring the cat into the shelter, pay $85.00 surrender fee and cry their eyes out all day.  Why should I make it easy on them?

Geez..that sounded bitter.

Tomorrow is a rescue day, and I'm taking a new foster Mom with me.  In fact, I'm meeting several foster Moms tomorrow.  It always reopens my eyes to the sacrifice I make when someone new comes with me.  I see things differently - the way I did when I first started walking through the shelter doors.  Although it's very very painful, I need to continually renew and remember why I do what I do.  For me, the only way to do that is to walk through those shelter doors with a new foster parent or adopter.  Experiencing their anguish helps me remember why I keep doing all this.  Sounds crazy, doesn't it? 

I'll bring my camera.  My stomach hurts a little bit already.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

my comment to the girl whose boyfriend is allergic to cats would be " Get a new boyfriend. " lol

Sparkle said...

I don't think you sound bitter at all. Taking a kitty into one's life is a responsibility, and not one that can be discarded without a second thought. These careless, irresponsible humans need to know there are consequences when they try to "throw away" a kitty, otherwise they will just throw away the next one too when the cat becomes inconvenient for them.

I think rescues should only take in owner surrenders in an absolute emergency (i.e., death of owner, owner's house burned to grown and owner is now living in car or a homeless shelter, etc.). No allergies, no boyfriend doesn't like cat, etc. So you are doing the right thing.

Kathie said...

Ditto what Lisa said, boyfriend allergic, too bad, get rid of him, the cat will not disappoint you down the road the b'friend will. Do I sound bitter? With 11 years under my belt of doing rescue work I have heard every single excuse, they all suck, unless the owners die, got so infirmed they had to go into a nursing home ( that's how I got my first two cats!)and were no longer able to care for them, also I can understand people with financial problems wanting a better life for a little four legged critter.

House of the Discarded said...

Lisa, Sparkle, & Kathie: AMEN!!!

Carolyn said...

Last month I toured a retirement home in Toronto which encourages seniors to bring their pets to live there with them. They have 2 resident cats and a dog. 1 of the cats was a rescue from the tainted food 2 years ago and he's a doll! So one less excuse for dumping a pet.

House of the Discarded said...

Carolyn: Awesome! Would love to do that.

justforme said...

Beth, the work you do is painful but also SOOOO worth it. You are changing the lives of soooo many animals and people. Mr.Kitty is a part of our family now and I wouldn't have it any other way. I have a bit of an allergy, but nothing I wouldn't put up with to have that little man curled up beside me. Every life you save is changing the world...a little bit at a time.
I am looking forward to becoming a foster home in the future. I will gladly drive the 2 hours to save another life.
XO Katy

Anonymous said...

If you do take a surrendered cat under special circumstances, then the $85 fee should go to the rescue.
Hell, ask $100 and tell people that at least their cat has a chance at a new life while if it is surrendered to the pound it won't even have a 'life'.

CanuckPet said...

Unfortunately, most of them don't even cry, they see it as your obligation to take care of their problems

Anonymous said...

Right now i can't rant enough about the people who are too poor to spay and neuter then want you to take their pregnant female and studly male, both unfixed they want you to do it for free cause they are POOR and emigrating to another country in a few weeks.

Yeah and emigration and rehoming and all that is cheap. And when you offer to help .. its not good enough unless they don't have to give a dime towards it... okay so I'm jaded and pissed off.. but i've heard the i'm poor and emigrating story too often lately.