Friday, September 24, 2010

The Devil Winds

I'm usually a fan of big weather.  But I came home today to find my favourite fern had been blown off my front porch, my empty garbage cans down the street and the power out.  The fierce winds today reminded me of "The Santa Ana Winds" we used to get in September in  Southern California.  Dry, hot "devil winds" that would wreck havoc with fires and people's moods.

It shouldn't have surprised me when I couldn't get out of my robe this morning until noon due to all the emergency phone calls and emails coming in.  I had people crying over various situations, and angry people seemed to get angrier.  Somewhere around 11:30 this morning, I threw up my arms and begged the powers that be for a break in the action.  You know it's bad when you're exhausted at 11:30 in the morning.

The phone calls started last night with 3 of our Mom cats giving birth at basically the same time.  Questions about placentas, cords, and "the runt", were being called in at a rapid rate.  Crazy stuff. 

At one point today, my cell phone, home phone and private "cat phone" were all ringing at the same time. 

I'm still trying to get a full accounting at the rural shelter.  I put out a plea yesterday for 10-12 week old kittens, but the vet came today to euthanize the cats and I'm not sure who survived and who didn't.  I hate to wait for the aftermath of these things, but I'm hoping that the shelter was able to wait.  I understand they were very full.   I've never been to this shelter when it was packed, but it's a horrible place under the best of circumstances.

As I type this blog post, David called and was on his way home.  He had an exhausting week and I'm looking forward to taking care of him and doing the things couples usually do on the weekend;  movies, hardware store, dinner out, and lawn mowing....

...I'm looking forward to a bit of peace.  But the wind is still blowing...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth
It was the blasted winds because I had one of 'those' days too, culminating in having to cancel a dinner with a dear friend with a broken heart due to transit problems. Have a restful weekend and come back next week rexharged and ready to go again. You deserve it and the cats unfortunately need you.
-Shannon

Kea said...

I'm hoping a better wind blows for you, Beth, and for all the cats who are in such dire need of rescuing.

Enjoy some down time this weekend, if you can.

Anonymous said...

I always think of strong winds, as being winds of change :) maybe something is going to change :)