Friday, February 19, 2010

An Update On "Peter"

The news wasn't unexpected for Peter's recovery. I'm not sure why, but I had great hope when the vet said there was no fracture in his leg that maybe I was overly dramatic and it wasn't as bad as I had thought.

I was wrong.

I no sooner hit the "Publish" button on my last blog post when I received a phone call from the vet. Peter's right front leg had suffered major trauma and he had MASSIVE nerve damage. The trauma could've been from being hit by a car or being kicked repeatedly.

Regardless, the treatment would be the same. Peter would need his leg completely amputated.

As I type this blog post, Peter's resting comfortably after his surgery. The vet said his leg was in VERY bad shape and there was really no choice at all but to remove it. He said Peter must have been in an enormous amount of pain - similar to someone taking a metal rod and poking into the root of your tooth.

I have a feeling that the loss of that leg is going to be a huge pain relief for our boy. If all goes well he'll be recovering at Steve's house with him and his menagerie. He'll have a 1 eyed cat and now a 3-legged cat - and as Steve said, "Good enough to start his own Feline Special Olympics." Hahahhahaha!

Huge piece of good news: I'm fairly certain that the donations that came in for Peter are going to be enough to cover his x-rays AND his surgery!! Thank you. Thank you all again for helping this deserving cat. I asked for a miracle and I got one....

...or maybe this is really Peter's Miracle. Only the best for him will do from now on.

10 comments:

Caroline said...

Glad that Peter's gonna be ok.

Kristen said...

Thanks for updating us!!! So glad he's doing well!!!!

Shannon said...

Wonderful news about Peter. Whats one fewer legs when you getting a second chance at life?

Steve Bartlett said...

I'm looking forward to having Peter arrive on Monday. Although I'm going to be tempted to rename him Cassidy, after my favourite cowboy when I was a kid. Hopalong Cassidy, to be precise.

Anonymous said...

Steve, not all angels have wings, such as you.

Anonymous said...

Okay...Is Steve single and if so how do I meet this Steve (alias cat rescuer angel)? How can you not love a man that not only loves cats but saves lives!!

Steve Bartlett said...

A friend of mine is doing a charity walk at the end of March. I've told her that if she takes Peter she'll probably get bonus points.

Just kidding. Really.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Beth and Steve for making miracles happen for these cats!

Anonymous said...

I think we're all thrilled that Peter is going to be okay, even as a "tri-pawed". Steve is amazing, and I bet his cats are going to be best buddies in no time. And my observation of cats suggests that losing a foreleg is probably the preferable option. I look forward to hearing about the trio's adventures!

Anonymous said...

Steve you are amazing! You open your home to the animals that are in the most need of a loving, patience home.

Beth thanks for rescuing the cats you want to and not letting vet costs get in the way.

To everyone that donated to the Peter fund you all rock!!