Friday, February 12, 2010

Medicating

I can't think of any better way to medicate myself after one of my foster cats gets adopted than to get another foster cat:

Cute Black Guy is about 12 weeks old. It was a tough decision to take him, because his Mom is still at the shelter. His Mom is already VERY pregnant and doesn't stand much of a chance of rescue.

I knelt down to his Mom and asked permission to take her baby for a better life. (They had been in separate cages) I don't know why I did that, because I started to cry. As I wiped away the tears, I gently held up Cute Black Guy to her and asked, "Do you want to say goodbye to your baby?"

Why do I torture myself like that?

This is Cute Black Guy's Mom - I can only pray there is hope for her before the next euthanasia day. Somebody dumped them both off together. They probably got rid of her first litter - all but the black one, and she got pregnant again and they got fed up and dumped her. Ignorant idiots.

It's disgusting how many pregnant cats there are at the shelter. Seriously. I think there are more than a dozen right now and it's FEBRUARY!

Today was a euthanasia day and 20+ cats were killed. Again - it's FEBRUARY. What's the summer going to be like if 20 cats go down in ONE DAY during the winter?

It was sad at the shelter today. I left feeling like I wasn't medicated with the "thrill of the rescue" at all.

But....I've got Cute Black Guy who desperately needed a home and for that - I'm grateful.

17 comments:

Meaghan Edwards said...

And people wonder why I am so aggressively pro spay/neuter :(

Unknown said...

UGH - so depressing those poor pregnant mommas! How can anyone euth. a pregnant animal (really, any animal for that matter!)

Beth, if I didn't live so far I'd scoop that prego mom up in a heatbeat for ya.

Anonymous said...

So sad. I wish more parents of school-age children would see fostering a pregnant cat as a real life lesson for their kids. If children can be exposed to all the violence found in video games then they can handle learning about birth and the crappy things that irresponsible people do. i get very frustrated with the whole "space" issue too. I think I can safely speak for every cat in that place in saying they'd rather your sunny laundry room then a tiny metal cage.

Shannon said...

I got a pregnant foster a few weeks ago and when she was dropped off I thought, how the hell did you end up like this in January. And I wonder if its going to be an harbinger of a really bad kitten season.

Anonymous said...

Instead of mandatory spay/neuter laws for animals, make spay/neuter laws for people. Just think, the stupids of the world wouldn't reproduce. Carbon footprint and greenhouse gases drop, fossil fuel consumption drops, etc....

oowowaee said...

I definitely hope somebody comes through for Trina (I think that's her name?)...I hate seeing the pregnant ones, and when they disappear from the list I like to try and convince myself that somebody saved them.

Sadly I am still not allowed to foster kittens after the distemper outbreak in my house last year x.x.

Unknown said...

arrgh, I wish I wasn't heading home for two weeks! Otherwise I'd take another pregnant momma! (Millie still hasn't had her babies btw)

A Cat's Tale said...

I take it Miriam is gone.... egads she came in with a collar... why wasn't someone looking for her?!

As for cute black kitten's mom... If I knew of a transport system from where she is to where I am, I'd take her to foster her and her babies.

It's hard, isn't it? Just have to focus on the ones you save.

Unknown said...

Hi Beth,
Saw the ad on Craigslist for the pregnant mom - don't know if you remember me - I'm the one who adopted Agatha last year about this time. She's doing amazing & you'd never know she's the same cat!

Anyway, if you can't find someone to foster her I'd consider, I just lost my oldest cat to a stroke a couple months back & have the room for mom & her kitties when they come & until they find new homes.

I'm around all weekend - shoot me an email - stefrec@sympatico.ca if you are in need of a place to foster her...
Stef

Caroline said...

Until society realizes the importance of neutering,we need a temporary system where irresponsible owners who can't be bothered to neuter their pets or deal with the consequences can drop off their pregnant moms for fostering and then pick them up after the babies have been weaned and the Moms have been spayed. Like a birthing house!

House of the Discarded said...

Stephanie: Would you please email me? bethurner289@gmail.com

-B

Meaghan Edwards said...

I swear they need to show a televised or printed euthanasia to get through people's thick, stupid skulls. I am so tired of people blaming the overpopulation on shelters, when it's the OWNERS who create the problem.

Unknown said...

Hi Beth,

I keep trying to email you but it keeps getting turned back as undeliverable...

Stef

House of the Discarded said...

Stephanie: Crap...it was a typo on my part:
bethturner289@gmail.com

I'm so sorry!

Anonymous said...

So ... does cute black guy's mom's story have a happy ending yet?

House of the Discarded said...

Anonymous: Cute Black Guy's Mom delivered 6 beautiful kittens today. She's OK, and is on the rescue's "list of cats to rescue"! It looks good for her and this little family :)

-B

Anonymous said...

Oh, yay! Pretty please let us know when she gets out safely!