Tuesday, February 09, 2010

I'm Stunned.

I'm not sure which is more shocking....

a) Finding copious amounts of diarrhea and pee in my basement (the only carpet in the house, of course)

b) Hearing that the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA is being investigated on CRUELTY charges, misappropriation of monies and are requesting the resignation of current board members.

The allegations are from current and past SPCA members. The news has not indicated whom is doing all the talking.

I've watched some local t.v. tonight and a veterinarian (the one that euthanizes the animals next door at Animal Control) was up in arms about "what's going on at the SPCA". Interesting that it's the guy that is paid to euthanize animals at the shelter

There's a meeting tonight in Hamilton regarding the allegations. This is all news to me and there isn't a lot of information right now. I'm still pretty stunned and will be watching very closely for updates.

I'm hoping this is an opportunity to somehow shed some light on the plight of the animals that I try so hard to save. For now? I'm staying quiet and see how this plays out.

Update: 9 pm - Not much on the news tonight. The Hamilton Spectator seems to think it's more of a financial dispute than cruelty. I sure hope so. I would hate to think this has anything to do with the animals being hurt. Would be nice to post about something else tomorrow. I really hate posting about this kind of sh*t.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Also heard something tonight on the Hamilton news.
Someone resigned because they didn't like the way the SPCA was headed,
Good for him!!

Anonymous said...

When it rains, it pours! I have a feeling that all the SPCAs are going to be under the microscope.

Anonymous said...

Good. Let's hope they include the OSPCA that has taken over and shut the doors at the Toronto Humane Society

Anonymous said...

Scandals always draw attention and in this case, it might get people thinking about shelter animals.

Laura HP said...

That's horrific, Beth! I really hope it's financial problems - morally corrupt but at least that means the animals aren't being hurt.
I wonder if the THS crackdown has lead to scrutiny of other shelters? If so, good, because things at the THS were left too long, so more scrutiny can help prevent that situation from ever happening again.

Anonymous said...

Keep us posted!!!