Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Be The Change

I went to the shelter today for one last rescue before Christmas. It was agonizing, but I managed to get out of there without a tear. I was very business-like and hesitated to make eye contact with the cats. Tomorrow is a euthanasia day and I didn't want to connect with any of them.

There will be 3 cats that have a home for Christmas. (Yay!) One of them is spending the night at my house tonight in the "Land of Dirty Underwear" (aka: My son's room) until her new Dad can pick her up tomorrow evening.

I came home this morning to a darling Christmas card filled with pictures of "Oscar" a kitten that I had rescued and is now adopted. Imagine Oscar in every kind of cute pose possible.... so much thought and kindness went into that card and I was overwhelmed. (overwhelmed = cried like a baby)

Going to the grocery store on the night before Christmas Eve was paralyzing to someone like me. I hate crowds and usually go to great lengths to avoid them. I pulled into the driveway feeling VERY Scrooge-like to find a little package on my front doorstep. It was from my friend and fellow rescuer Michelle. She had left me a voicemail saying "I hope I left the package on your doorstep and not the "Squirrel Killer's" house...I peaked through the window and saw a cat, so that's a good sign." Hahahahha!

In the bag was a t-shirt that simply said "Be the Change". I cried again. Maybe I connected with more cats at the shelter today than I realized. Sometimes I feel so unworthy of such kindness.

Over the past few weeks I've received a couple of "Cat in Christmas Tree" pictures from foster parents and adopters. The best one wasn't sent to me at all - I stole it off a foster parent's Facebook page. (I know she won't mind)

This is Abby's first Christmas. Looks like she's making the best of the situation!

I've been very sentimental today and pray that I can continue to "Be the Change" and set a good example. Until then....

....hold your pets tightly tonight. Kiss your loved ones. Thank you for being there for me.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all...

9 comments:

Crystal said...

Merry Christmas Beth! wishing you and your family only the very best of "everything" for 2010.

Thank you for sharing your smiles and your tears...

I am so happy you liked Abby's "tree" picture. We are truly grateful to you for helping us find our "angel" in a sweet brown tabby girl.

Lots of love from the Hinch family

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

We read evFURRYday...

We usually leak most days...

Today we need to khomment:

YES!

BE
THE
CHANGE!

If only more khared enough to try!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra and Her Mom

Anonymous said...

How is Travis? Who are the kittens you rescued? Are Chance and Wiggles safe for tomorrow?

Anonymous said...

Have Travis' eyes improved at all?

Caroline said...

Hi Beth

Merry Catmis!

Who were the 3 that were rescued and truly given a fabulous Catmis gift?

Kate said...

Merry Christmas Beth!

Sending much love and joy your way from Northwest Ontario this season! And I will continue to send it when I return to Toronto!

From:

Kate, Garret, Frankfurter, Grey 'Stache and Kiddo!

Anonymous said...

Beth,

You are the change. Because of you, I have had more fun, more fears, more cuddles and dribbled more tears (only when I have to pass on my foster babies to their forever homes).

You have changed my life. Now I have Thomasina and Ned for forever, and I have cuddled and loved Jake, Toodle, Noodle, Georgia, Bunny, Rosie, Dexter and Dougal and seen them off to their new families. Thank you.

Have a very Merry Christmas and best wishes for a happy and fun new year to you and your family.

Alison

House of Mystery said...

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Bob & Myst

Concerned Kitty said...

Dear Beth!

Besides being their angel, you Are our Hope and Change. I will pray for your little Travis and all the others that are not so lucky this Christmas.

Wishing you and your family (including furries of course) a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Diana and family.
Terri, Stefi, Scooby, Wiggy, and little Mitsi.