Monday, March 02, 2009

A Personal Journey

The grief process after losing a beloved pet is a personal journey. I thought it might be healing for me to be at the shelter doing a rescue today, but instead I found myself overwhelmed with sadness. It really caught me off guard. I managed to pull myself together despite it all and rescued two really sweet and worthy kitties:

Jazz was brought into the shelter already spayed and declawed. Her new Mommy adopted her sight unseen and I drove Jazz into the city and was happy to play Stork once again. Jazz walked out of her crate and acted like she lived there forever. I wish I had my camera with me.

I also rescued a big boy named Ramsis. (I'll post a picture later) Ramsis is currently at "Chez Turner" in my guest room. He'll be here through his quarantine period. He must weigh at least 20 lbs! He's huge and just a big, sweet, orange teddy bear. I love these snuggly big boys! He has a sad story to tell. It's one of those stories that make me want to hunt down the owners. *ugh*

My Buckley was adopted about 30 minutes ago! I knew he'd be adopted as soon as I put him on the website. The family was in love the moment they saw him. Who wouldn't be? :) He was as sweet as apple pie.

As I'm rereading this post my lack of enthusiasm seems rather apparent to me. Maybe it's all part of the grief process.

I wanted to thank everyone who took the time to write me through this blog or through e-mail to show their respect for the loss of "Bob". Although it hurts and probably will for quite some time, it's always wonderful to know that I'm in good company with my grief. Your thoughts, kindness and friendship will get me through this.

1 comment:

catsinger said...

...your Bob is a twin to my "Bobcat"..
same black & white, though Bobcat was a big, rangy guy with a "bob" tail...
he acted like a dog, wasn't scared of anything, but was also calm & easy going...
he died in my arms at the emergency vets about 3 AM on the very last day of my teaching career...
there never is another like the ones we love & say good-bye to...
but there's always another one for us to love...
I've lost 2 since Christmas...and 2 other miraculous healings...
I am so sorry for your loss...
and I agree...ALL kitties should be taken care of...& their loss mourned
...