Friday, January 30, 2009

"Penny's" Happy Ending


Yesterday, I had the priviledge of connecting with a lovely sounding woman named "Kristen" that made it her mission to adopt a very sad looking little cat named "Penny" who was scheduled to die at the shelter. It's hard to believe that Kristen fell in love with the picture that I posted below. I didn't get to meet Kristen yesterday - one of our other amazing volunteers met her at the shelter. I didn't know "Penny" had a nasty cold. I understand the poor cat was sneezing, drooling and had runny eyes...but that didn't stop Kristen from taking Penny home - forever.
Of course, the best news came from a follow up e-mail from Kristen last night:
Hi Beth, Thanks SO much for all your help and quick email replies. I drove to (the shelter) and got her today. She was perfect. It was shocking seeing where she was living...I am someone that has always purchased from pet stores and never knew what shelters were like.
In the car on the way home she had a really vacant, glazed look and mostly stared straight ahead. I got her to a vet to get checked up and she got some antibiotics. I let her out in the spare bedroom for now so she has privacy to rest and get her bearings. She rubs against me constantly and her purr motor is going all the time now!!! She even played a little bit with some toys I had purchased for her!!! She is very tired and is resting now. She seems so grateful and happy....and she's getting used to me...her tail is even starting to perk up when I talk to her. I am SO happy I got her and love her to death already. Thank you so much for all your help.
She didnt really know "Penny" so I named her "Kota" from the musical term "Coda" which means "tail" in Italian....because this is her happily ever after now. I am so glad I adopted a new family member and didn't buy one from a pet store!! Thanks again, I'll continue to update!!

Of course I cried when I got the e-mail. I can hardly wait to see some pictures of...Penn.... "Kota". I'll put a box of Kleenex next to the computer this time...

7 comments:

RHz said...

I'm so glad Kota had a happy ending.

It does still amaze me though, that people don't know where pet store animals come from, what happens in shelters, and what puppy/kitty mills and backyard breeders are. I am just glad more people are realizing.

House of the Discarded said...

Me too, RHz! Sometimes I feel like a broken record when I talk about the plight of animals at the shelter vs. pet stores. But it's obvious there are many who still don't know what really happens in the shelters vs. irresponsible backyard breeders.

Kristen's e-mail spoke volumes for so many people! :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't know anything about the "backyard breeder" thing until after I'd gotten Lisa (my little dog) from a pet store. But she's an awesome little dog and she's been great, both in health and temperment. And how can you not love a dog that steals other people's beer?

Three of my kittens were also from a pet store (same one Lisa came from). They've been great as well.

I wouldn't do it again though. In fact my last 3 permanent cats have all been strays or rescues. And my second dog was from a rescue as well.

Actually #3 permanent cat just officially became permanent today. He's an awesome 3-month-old kitten who loves fiddle players and accordions (he was at the pub with me about a week and a half ago when a group was playing; he curled up on the accordion player's lap between two fiddle players and napped for about an hour).

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for Coda. That is a wonderful ending. It also brought a tear to my eye to know that one more life was saved. You are so appreciated for connecting these poor souls with amazing homes where they will be loved forever!

I refuse to buy anything from a store that sells pets that come from puppy or cat mills. If the public only knew what happens when those pet store kitties get sick. I have heard from a reputable source they are put in a back room to die or sent to a vet clinic to be euthanized. Would you put your child down if they had a cold?

Thanks for sharing such a happy ending.

whitesocks said...

What a great story :). You're both wonderful people...Beth for spreading the news about Penn-er-kota, and Kota's mommy for adopting from a shelter and thereby saving a precious life condemned for no fault of its own.

Anonymous said...

Steve sounds like an amazing guy. I hope all my future adopters are just like him

Anonymous said...

This is what it's all about!!!
Save a life, make a person(and cat) happy :)