Sunday, June 22, 2008

Family First

I'm back....again. I feel like this has been a month of me apologizing for being gone, or being out of the loop on things. Life gets in the way sometimes.

I've always said, "Family comes first". No doubt about it. But I can't help but feel badly for the volunteers that I left in the lurch last week while I was away. We had a HUGE weekend with a waterfront festival and adoption event. I was supposed to help at both of them. Fortunately, they were able to scramble and things went on without me. But I know that we were really pressed for volunteers.

Looks like we had NINE adoptions while I was gone! Ahhhh.....the volunteers *ROCK*. Two cats went out on a trial adoption and I can only pray that they work out.

While at an adopt-a-thon, one of our prior adopters dumped her two cats there and said that I said it was "OK" to leave them. I didn't. I had been working with this woman who had family issues. She felt like she couldn't deal with two cats that she adopted six weeks ago AND her family issues. In the spirit of "Family First", I didn't mind helping her rehome the cats but she lied like a rug when she said I approved it. The poor cats are so depressed. They're sitting in a Petsmart cage right now not knowing what the hell happened to them. I sent her a rather nasty e-mail for which I make no apologies. I'm a little embarrassed about what I said, but at least I didn't use profanity. *shrug*

I'm going to the shelter tomorrow to rescue a few cats. We don't have room for them, but five of them are older kittens and I can't let them die. They're marked for euthanasia in the morning, and I'm a complete freak for thinking we can squeeze in five more cats in the program.


This is Pretzel. He's only 12 weeks old and he's supposed to die tomorrow. Hard to believe somebody gets PAID to kill him. It's even harder to believe somebody didn't pay the money to have their cat spayed so he wasn't born and unwanted in the first place.
(*stepping off the soapbox*) I figure anyone that reads this blog probably knows this stuff anyway, so I'm preaching to the choir.

Speaking of "Reading the Blog"....I was so surprised to receive such wonderful e-mails in support regarding my daughter. I didn't know that so many people actually read this thing! My daughter is getting better and we had a lovely mother/daughter time together. There's nothing like shopping, manicures and a fancy hotel room to make the most depressed person feel better. Worked for me!

Now if I can only figure out what to do with these cats I'm rescuing tomorrow. Maybe I'll think about it over a pedicure....(ha.ha.)





No comments: